Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Personal Standard (aka A Poem For Ken)

If I think I should
I should


I used to have that poem written on a notice board in work - visible as I walked in.
A reminder for me to act.


Your gut instinct. That instantaneous decision. The unconscious thought that's born to life before you knew why you needed to think it.
Where does it come from?

Too often I would delay, hesitate, procrastinate. Sometimes not acting. Sometimes acting in a manner contrary to my initial gut feel for the situation.

If I think I should
I should

That's my personal standard - a conscious challenge to myself each time I think I might take a short cut.

I'm not going to sell myself short.

The results of my actions should match the initial positive intent.

By consciously challenging myself I push through the tough times when I think it's too hard, the wall is too high, the current too strong.

My personal standard, as I discussed in a previous post is all about me having confidence and belief in...myself.

I envisage the right things.

I put these positive thoughts into action.

I catch my thinking when I feel weakness.

I stand strong and follow through.

I trust my gut feeling - I back that instinct.

I move on with greater respect for myself knowing I did not cut corners, I did not sell myself, my idea, my actions, or those around me short.

That's my personal standard.