Thursday, December 30, 2010

Where Sand Meets Sea

Yesterday, I stood knee deep in waves as they crashed ashore in quick succession.
The world inside my head was going a million miles in no particular direction.
As the beach experience was drawing to an end I made the conscious, active decision to take in this moment.


A deep inhalation as I closed my eyes briefly to reset my vision.
The loosening and release of my shoulders.
Crown lifting skywards.
Feet pressing into the soft, shifting sands beneath.
The sound of the waves as they broke around me.
The deeper, more constant rumble of the ocean further out as it moved with an awesome, almost imperceivable power.
The lightness of the air surrounding me.
The warmth of the sun.


A beat, maybe two, and then moment was fading behind me as I turned and walked away.
In that instant, though, I felt the latent power around me.
The energy, a great overwhelming positivity.
It's there.
All the time.
Not just while I'm at the beach.


Those beats need to become a bar.
That bar, a verse.


A composition, a soundtrack, constant like the surging undercurrent forces driving the great ocean I'd just been facing.