Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Stillness & The Urban Intervention

I had originally planned a post based on the POWER of URBAN INTERVENTIONS that would take a different form.
But Urban Interventions are about more than words - they are about bringing AWARENESS.
Am I seeing what's right in front of my eyes?
Can I see beyond my first impression?
Can I see beyond long held 'muscle memory'?
(aka Beyond what I believe I'm seeing because I stopped really looking along time ago)
I stopped to look at the Australian Hotel on Broadway.





Something about this sight as I walked home from Glebe last week caused my to pause.


The overgrowth at the side.

The brick work slowly falling apart.
And what's growing between the cracks.

Within the walls of what is now only a building are the memories of emotions scaling the spectrum of life.
I want to go beyond the surface.
I not only want to see what is, but what was and what could be.
The answers and explanations may not always be forthcoming. However in taking the time to look, and be still, let the awareness of now come upon me I've found a new appreciation all about me.